The Seneca Indians primarily inhabited this area until 1789, when the New Enland pioneers arrived to what is now Macedon. "Indian" Charlie Cook was a descendent of these Native Americans, and a friendly, colorful character in Macedon's past. Living in a cabin on the canal at the base of Lapham's Hill, he had the rare view of the three paths of the Erie Canal: the original from 1823, the expansion in the early 1850's and the Barge canal of 1911. He made baskets, which some residents to this day still have and are in great condition. He peddled door-to-door, from logs he carried from Magog swamp. He was so skilled, that some of these baskets were waterproof. Remembered as "everyone's friend" by residents of his era, it was not unusual for him to pay a visit to a sick child's house, bearing an herbal or plant-based remedy, or make a special call to cane a broken chair seat. He died in February 1939, and is buried in St. Patrick's cemetery in Macedon.